[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

Daniel Veillard veillard@redhat.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 05:33:46 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:08:37AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> If the dependencies are listed statically in the shared lib,
> you don't have a problem -- the dynamic linker will then

  And it seems that with a recent libtool, this works.

> Now this is how it works on Linux... not sure about other
> platforms.
>
> Note that Fred's trick with dynamically setting the
> dlopen() flags only work on Python 2.2 and above.

  Seen that, this is only needed if the dependancy is not
provided within the library. With both combined this should
cover a reasonable fraction of the Unix user base.

> > > Why not simply make l1 and l2 a single shared lib ?
> >
> >   No I'm not gonna ship with library statically linked inside my
> > shared library. The linker should be fixed instead.
>
> You tell this Microsoft ;-)

  Me ? No, I didn't used it in the last 10 years.

> Seriously, I think that Fred's second proposal (combining
> the Python wrapper modules, rather than the libs) solves
> this best. And it should work on all platforms and with all
> Python versions.

  Except it seems to break my existing packaging model. Though
not cast in stone I really would not like to change the RPM mapping
too much. But I'm not sure I have looked at all the facet of Fred's
proposal and how to actually build the stuff that way, so I will
still try to get it working.
  Microsoft packaging is anyway a domain I can't touch, I really don't
have such a box and don't intend to in the foreseable future, though I
usually take portability patches gracefully !

Daniel