[XML-SIG] RELAX NG: failed parser attempt

akuchlin@mems-exchange.org akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:36:31 -0500

I've gotten about half way through writing a DOM-based simplifier for
the RELAX NG full syntax, and I'm on the verge of abandoning that
approach.  About 15 or 16 of the 21 rules have been implemented: the
easy ones, that is.  Even for easy things the code is kind of verbose,
and for the difficult ones (such as #4.19) it'll be incomprehensible.

So, now what?  Is there some alternate way of getting from the full
syntax to the simple syntax?  XSLT is likely powerful enough to do the
job, though maybe someone here will know for sure; is it?

My next plan of attack is to write a conventional parser on top of
pulldom and construct the Python tree representing a pattern, applying
the simplifications as it goes, without going through the simple
syntax as an intermediate step.  (I think this is what Jing does.)

Any suggestions?  Or am I the only person who cares about RELAX NG?

--amk