[XML-SIG] yet another output encoding

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:41:47 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> horst@freedict.de writes:
>
> > Hello,
> > on my search on output encodings, I came across messages from Sep. 2000,
> > where a possibility on how to convert utf into latin1 with xml entities
> > was described.
> >
> > As I did not find any other / newer comments on the subject, I thought I
> > ask here if anything was done, or if I better implement my own solution
> > in order to do that.
>
> There is a patch pending on SF adding that feature to Python core;
> that patch is still awaiting review.

Which patch would that be ?

> You probably have to implement
> your own solution.

It is easy to write such a latin-1-xml-escape codec in C.
ascii-xml-escape could probably be made a subset of that
codec as well. Those two would cover XML (defaults to UTF-8,
compatible with ASCII) and HTML (defaults to LATIN-1,
AFAIR).

Contributions are always welcome :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg