[XML-SIG] yet another output encoding

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:45:50 +0100

Walter D=F6rwald wrote:
>=20
> > Walter and I postponed the work on this until after
> > the 2.2 release. It's still on the plate though.
> > [...]
>=20
> As soon as I find the time, I'll try to do a different version of
>=20
> the patch, i.e. one that doesn't require such vast changes to
> the C API: The string will still be passed as a
> Py_UNICODE */int pair and the encoding as a char *.
> Maybe the chances of inclusion into the Python core for this
> new patch will be better. This patch has another advantage: for
> well known error handling names (e.g. "xmlreplace" for encoding)
> the replacement algorithm could be implemented directly in the
> encoder/decoder for maximum performance.

I thought about such a possibility today too: maybe all
we need is a simple registry of error handlers. The handlers
are then addressed using their string name and we can leave
the existing APIs (which use const char *error parameters)
in place.

Is that what you have in mind too ?
=20
> Now the only remaining problem is time! :-/

Python 2.3 will leave us around 6 months -- should be=20
enough :-)

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH