[XML-SIG] Encoding argument for toxml and toprettyxml

Walter Dörwald walter@livinglogic.de
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:11:41 +0200

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've added an encoding argument for toxml and toprettyxml both in the
> PyXML and the Python CVSs. Making 'utf-8' the default is unfortunately
> not possible for backwards compatibility.
>
> Please let me know what you think about this change, in particular
> whether it should be made available in Python 2.2.2 as well.

I like it. Even better would be if those methods were able to escape
unencodable characters with character references inside Text nodes.
That's exactly what PEP 293 was made for.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald