strange idea: attribute stripping (Re: [XML-SIG] Proposal: command-line interfac

Matt G. matt_g_@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:05:06 +0000

>From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
>To: "Matt G." <matt_g_@hotmail.com>
>CC: xml-sig@python.org
>Subject: Re: [XML-SIG] Proposal: command-line interface to parser Date:
>Mon, 08 Jul 2002 22:15:18 -0600
>
> >   * XML document "flattening" (i.e. writes out copy of parsed
> >     document, inlining external entities, potentially applying
> >     DTD attribute defaults, and potentially also validating).
> >     This would be even more useful, if it supported XInclude.

Maybe someone should just smack me, but it seems like it'd be neat if 4xml,
or a stand-alone application, would REMOVE any attributes where the supplied
value coincides with the default.  This would be a nice way to "compress"
XML documents, and make them more human-editable, after undergoing some kind
of automated processing.

Anyhow, I consider this pretty far down my list of priorities, as I have no
immediate need for such functionality.  (On the other hand, getting
automatically-generated external entity dependencies would DEFINITELY save
me the error-prone manual labor of manually maintaining these.)

Matt Gruenke