[XML-SIG] Expat 1.95.4

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:57:21 -0600

> I'm planning to release Expat 1.95.4 tomorrow.  This promises to be a
> stable release that fixes a lot of minor bugs and includes more
> platform support.
>
> What I'd like to do is:
>
>   - modify pyexpat.c to support Expat's recent ability to return
>     namespace prefixes as well as namespace URIs (useful for DOM
>     construction),

This will be great for cDomlette as well.

>   - update the DOM construction code, at least for the new minidom
>     builder, to use this to get namespace prefixes right, and
>
>   - integrate Expat 1.95.4 into PyXML.
>
> Once this is done, I'd like to see another release of PyXML go out so
> that these new features get broader testing.  I don't know what
> version number this release should carry.
>
> Any objections, comments, or suggestions?

Your plans for PyXML sound fine.

Perhaps in the process you'll end up solving this problem I have with expat
1.95*:

I tried to upgrade cDomlette to use expat 1.95.2, but because this now uses
autoconf, its hard for us to create a siloed version that we can ship with
4Suite.  For this reasom we still use expat 1.2 for cDomlette.

I don't suppose anyone has solved the problem of having a ready cross-platform
code-base for expat?  That would probably mean replacing the configuration
params with platform #ifdefs.  This would make it much easier for us to
upgrade and get the most recent improvements.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think11.html