[XML-SIG] 4XSLT focus on docbook stylesheets (and fruit thereof)

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 01:32:20 -0600

> Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> > Outstanding!  Any ideas how that compares with the big guns (Xalan, msxml,
> > saxon)?
>
> I just ran some tests against one of those guns.
>
> The contenders:
>
> 4xslt 0.12.0a3(*), incorporating expat-1.95.2, under Python 2.2.1
> vs
> Saxon 6.5.2, with its modified Aelfred parser, running under JDK 1.1.8.
>
> (*) what will become alpha 3, rather
>
> The platform:
>
> Intel PIII-933, 256 MB RAM, FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE.
>
> The test:
>
> Transforming a 450-line, 25K Simplified DocBook article to HTML,
> using DocBook XSL 1.50.

[SNIP]

> Battle #1: The simplest test: command-line, with all the overhead of
> the JVM and Python interpreter starting up to throw off the results.

[SNIP]

> Outcome: 4xslt finishes about 67% faster than Saxon

[SNIP]

> Battle #2: A proper test: timing the stylesheet preparation and
> transformation separately, from code.

[SNIP]

> Outcome: 4xslt about 85% faster than Saxon at stylesheet preparation,
>          and 4xslt about 60% faster than Saxon at transformation.

Thanks, Mike.  I did rather suspected that we would equal or beat the Java
processors at this point.  I expect we'll still get taken by the C processors,
but hey!  Ya never know.

I really appreciate your doing this, BTW.  You'd better believe I'll be
quoting this message with some frequency  :-)

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li
brary/x-think11.html