[XML-SIG] Preparing for PyXML 0.8

Alexandre Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:41:37 +0200

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:04:09AM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Alexandre writes:
>  > I'm baffled.
>
> Here's another question:  Is the Python on Debian built with the
> pyexpat extension (not the Expat library) built statically into the
> Python executable, or is it dynamically loaded?

usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so is provided by python2.2-xmlbase,
so we have it as a dynamic library.

> I'm not sure this matters as long as PyXML provides
> .../site-packages/_xmlplus/parsers/pyexpat.so, though.  Can you verify
> that in the installation as well?

When I build it on my machine, I get this file for both python2.1 and
python2.2.

I've checked in the the debian archive, and the file is missing in the
python2.2 package. So it looks like different build configuration give
different results. I'll have to sort this out with Jerome Marant (who
rebuilds the packages before uploading them).

My opinion is that this is a pure debian packaging bug, and that we can
safely close it on the PyXML bug tracker.

Now if someone here has an idea of what could cause pyexpat.so not to be
built on some machines, I'd be very interested.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).