[XML-SIG] Expat (Was: Strange install issue)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:28:26 -0400

Dinu Gherman writes:
 > Well, that's the miracle for me! Why is there no expat in standard
 > Python, then? If it comes with PyXML, there cannot be any licensing
 > issue. And then it could equally well be included in Python,
 > couldn't it?

Relax, Dinu!  ;-)

Guido seriously avoids checking in code to the Python CVS that needs
to be updated periodically and which he doesn't feel he should
maintain.  We've finally convinced him that Expat should be
incorporated into Python and assured to be present; this has been done
for Python 2.3, primarily due to Martin's efforts.

Python on Windows has been shipping the Expat DLLs for a while now, so
this wasn't a problem for Python on Windows.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation