[XML-SIG] Expat (Was: Strange install issue)

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
25 Jul 2002 09:22:52 +0200

Dinu Gherman <gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de> writes:

> > I really hate arguing at some point with people to explain them why
> > things should be done in some way, and then, if they are done in a
> > different way, to explain people why they have been done that way.
>
> There must be a missing sentence here or something, otherwise
> I can't believe that statement! You say why you do X, but do
> Y and hate to say why? ;-) It would make more sense if it is
> not you in both cases.

No. I hate having to explain this over and over again, to everybody
who was not originally involved when Y was done instead of X.

> I was confused because on Windows nothing indicated to me it had
> more "batteries" than on other platforms, and on Unix I erroneously
> thought it was included because once I tried PyXML, but for some
> reasons uninstalled it again (which very likely means expat was
> still there, afterwards).

I guess you are still confused about that. Most likely, on your Unix
system, the Python installation did have a pyexpat module - atleast if
that Unix system was Linux, since then an expat library came with the
system, and was found while Python was built.

> I once asked you of how many companies/products you know which
> were really using PyXML and you said none, remember?

Correct. As I explained at that time, I don't know any company who is
using XML in the first place, mainly because I don't know details of
organizations other than my own (I think we were talking about German
companies at that time).

> I'm just reporting "user experience", which one is rarely able
> to point out when things are "integrated", but only when star-
> ting to "use" them. If this information is useless to you, it's
> been worth for me to find out.

I'm indeed not certain what to make out of this information. If you
think anything should be done now, please say so. If you think
anything should have been done in the past - I don't know how to react
to that other than to express my sympathy.

Regards,
Martin