[XML-SIG] Preparing for PyXML 0.8

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
30 Jul 2002 20:42:34 -0600

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 20:31, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Uche Ogbuji writes:
>  > I have a very simple DOM reader based on HTMLParser.  Should I
>  > check this in with the right try/except around the import?  It
>  > might even address the recent problem with the sgmlop parser and
>  > numerical char entities.
>
> The HTMLParser module from the standard library?  Or is there another
> I'm missing?

The std library.  2.1 or later onnly, ya know.

> I suppose it's not unreasonable, but I'd think there's a lot to be
> added to the basic parser code, which is really little more than a
> "high-level tokenizer."

Yes.  I did add the code that generates a DOM given an impl.  But then
again, it was for a quick and dirty hack, and hasn't been heavily
tested.

> Why would you need to catch an ImportError?  ...  Hm.  Getting around
> lack of that module in 2.1.x and earlier is fairly painful.  One
> option would be to include a copy of it in xml.parsers (or better yet,
> hidden away where it can be forgotten!).
>
> Does it make more sense to figure a hack around the repeated-import
> issues or just fix problems in sgmlop so it can always be used?

I just mentioned it because I already had it lying around.  Given that
the release is impending, I think I should put away the idea for now.
Someone really should fix the sgmlop char ent bug before this release,
though.  I don't suppose Walter has a moment?  I would, but I'll already
have my hands full of PyXML work tonight and I think he knows sgmlop
better than I do.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC