[XML-SIG] understanding the sources. wher to start?

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:06:29 +0200 (CEST)

Alexandre <Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr>:

> As a sidenote, I'm currently working on a Python+XML tutorial for
> the Europython conference. I'll be happy to contribute the slides
> to a documentation.

Great! If you still accept some feed-in: I'm especially in-
terested in the following packages (like everybody else,
I guess):

- standard Python XML
- PyXML
- 4Suite

evaluated using the following criteria:

- borderlines
- overlap
- dependencies
- versioning issues
- future unification

I would also like to add versioning issues for Python (and,
less so, Jython) itself, but I fear I'd look like trying to
be really mean. I can reassure you, I'm not, I'm just a bit
confused... BTW, Jython 2.1 contains *some* of PyXML, Finn
Bock said recently on the Jython-Users list.

Y'day I've looked-up this SIG's mission statement, in which
one key phrase says:

  "While Python includes basic XML processing capabilities,
   the goal of this SIG is to make Python become the premier
   language for XML processing."

I clearly see this potential, but I dare having some doubts
about the "multi-layered support approach" as I'd probably
coin it, if I was working in a marketing department.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at EPC 2002!

Best regards,

Dinu