[XML-SIG] XPath's reliance on id()

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:00:38 -0700

I wish I had more time to contrib to this thread right now, but...

> Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > Martijn Faassen <faassen@vet.uu.nl> writes:

> Anyway, perhaps the notion of equality is what we need; in my mind two
> objects can stand in for the same DOM node but not be the same object;
> they're equal but not identical.

No.  We need identity for sure.  Never mind the fact that equality cannot be
determined without a possible tree-spanning operation, it is also what XPath
and the DOM require.

> The notion for equality in DOM nodes is actually supported by the
> DOM level 3 working draft:
>
> """
> isSameNode (introduced in DOM Level 3)
>     Returns whether this node is the same node as the given one.

isSameNode checks for identity, *not* equality.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management