[XML-SIG] Dropping Python 1.5 support in PyXML

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:53:18 -0700

Putting in my late 2 cents.

I think PyXML should ditch support for Python 1.5.2 in precisely the mann=
er =

that Martin suggests, i.e. don't go out of our way to throw in every 2.0 =

feature, but rather just remove the burden required by 1.5.2 support.

I am very sympathetic to Red Hat's needs, and so I don't take Trond's poi=
nts =

lightly, but, as I think all have acknowledged, Red Hat can do well enoug=
h =

shipping PyXML 0.7 until it can upgrade its Python version.  Of course, t=
his =

already poses a problem because PyXML 0.7 only mixes with 4Suite 0.12.0a?=
, =

which is Python 2.x only.  I'm not sure how to help this situation.

Trond,

I've already assumed I'll have to work with you a bit to help you package=
 any =

0.12.0 releases in a suitable RPM form.  We now bundle 4Suite Server, in =
part =

to reduce the maintenance burden on us, and in part to improve integratio=
n.  I =

hardly presume Red Hat will be wanting to bundle the repository as well: =
after =

all, you don't even bundle Zope (though, perhaps, 4Suite's licensing is =

clearer).  It should be easy enough to have an RPM based on the 4Suite tg=
z, =

with patched __packageInfo__.py files that omit the repo (and stale modul=
es =

like 4ODS).

-- =

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
Fourthought, Inc.                         http://Fourthought.com =

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management