[XML-SIG] 'Strange' behaviour of TreeWalker

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 02 May 2002 21:57:23 -0600

> Hi,
>
> I'm quite new to Python (and pyxml / 4Suite ) and was quite confused by a
> 'strange' difference between NodeIterator and TreeWalker.
>
> While instances of NodeIterator are "printable" and give reasonable
> error messages, eg. accessing undefined attributes, instances of TreeWalker
> give hard times to novice users as __getattr__() effectively prevents any such
> access without reasonable message.
>
> Is that the intended behaviour or just an unwanted side-effect?
> At least, a note in the docs might be valuable to others.

It comes down to unfortunate implementation needs.  I think TreeWalker can be
refactored to need less magic once 2.0 is the requirement for PyXML and thus
there is no need to worry about reference cycles.

--
Uche Ogbuji                           Fourthought, Inc.
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com           http://fourthought.com