[XML-SIG] xml package refresh for Python 2.3

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:43:19 -0500

Guido indicated yesterday that he'd like to see Python 2.3 alpha 1
happen this year.  Before that happens, I need to "refresh" the xml
package in Python with updated software from PyXML.  This currently
means the following things will be updated in Python:

- Modules/expat/*              [the Expat library code]
- Modules/pyexpat.c            [Python Expat bindings]
- Lib/xml/dom/
              domreg.py        [getDOMImplementation() & friends]
              minidom.py       [minidom, like it says]
              minicompat.py    [to be added]
              xmlbuilder.py    [to be added]
              expatbuilder.py  [to be added]
              pulldom.py       [if it changed at all]
- Lib/xml/sax/
              I'd like some guidance here.
- Doc/lib/
          xml*.tex             [update material integrated from
                                doc/xml-ref.tex]

I expect the tasks will be:

1. Wrap up any Expat issues remaining (me).
2. Release the next version of Expat (me).
3. Update the Expat code in PyXML (me).
4. Release PyXML 0.8.2 (Martin? please? ;).
5. Update code in Python as described above (me).

Guido would like the Python CVS to be ready no later than
mid-December, so I'd like to get items 1-4 done by the end of this
month.  Does that work for everyone else?

Martin, will you have time to cut a PyXML release around then, or do
we need someone else to volunteer for the task?  (I certainly
appreciate the work you've done keeping things moving around release
times!)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>