[XML-SIG] getDOMImplementation() extension

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:26:44 -0500

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > This all sounds good, except that I intended usage to be slightly
 > different: I think it should be xml.dom.getDOMImplementation, not
 > xml.dom.domreg.getDOMImplementation. The domreg module serves mainly
 > to simplifiy code sharing between PyXML and Python, even though the
 > __init__ files are entirely different.

Yes, I understood that; I did not intend to imply that the domreg
module was part of the public API, but on re-reading my message
realize that I did.  Sorry.

 > The function would deviate from the other DOM functions in another
 > respect: It requires a keyword argument if you only want to pass
 > features.

Yes.

 > So I would leave this as-is (raise ImportError), until
 > a) somebody complains, AND
 > b) the W3C draft becomes a recommendation.
 >
 > When that happens, we can again reconsider.

Ok, it sounds to me like we're in agreement.  I sent this email to the
www-dom list:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2002OctDec/0089.html

but there's been no response (expected <sigh mode='exasperated'/>).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation