[XML-SIG] Some thoughts about types libraries

Rich Salz rsalz@datapower.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:24:24 -0400

> Can you give me some hints about the status of the projects under the
> Python Web Services [1] umbrella?

I'll try...

> SOAPy seems pretty ambitious with full support for W3C XML Schema but
> hasn't been updated since April 2001, ie before W3C XML Schema went rec.

I think it does more types (as you point out, NOTATION and ENTITY), but
while it's had a copule of bug-fixes, it's pretty inactive.

> Your own ZSI [3] seems very interesting too, although I note that some
> exotic types needed to be fully compliant (such as xs:NOTATION or
> xs:ENTITY) appear to be missing. Also, a type library should support
> facets and I don't think yours does.

Right now it supports only the types that can be serialized as a SOAP
RPC Encoding item.

I don't have a lot of time to spend on ZSI, unfortunately.  Certainly if
it became the basis of a type library, I'd have an opinion on how to do
facets, add other types, etc.  My initial reaction would be to add a
"check_constraints" method to each TC class ...

> Do you have plans to supporte all the W3C XML Schema datatypes and
> eventually their facets?

I'll do what I can, and hopefully others would find it useful to move
forward.
	/r$