[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Sep 2002 21:03:05 +0200

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

> Certainly a fair portion of this should be discussed in more detail.
> I'm trying to figure out where it should all go; suggestions beyond
> "witht the Unicode documentation" are welcome.

I'd recommend to place a fairly elaborate text with Unicode
literals. This can mention the two forms of Python builds while
explaining why len(u"\U00xxyyyy") might be 2.

Then, there should be a Unicode section in builtin types, which
explains the notion of encodings, and the directions in which .encode
and .decode operate (and the relationship to the unicode builtin).

Furthermore, the codecs module should:
- provide a list of codecs included in a certain Python release,
- possibly provide a list of recognized aliases,
- explain the notion of error handling, and, for 2.3, the
  extensibility thereof.

Regards,
Martin