[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

26 Sep 2002 23:33:02 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| I don't know why my word alone is not enough, but here you go:

* Martin v. Loewis

| I wanted to see myself :-) Thanks for the pointers.

You're welcome. Note that it also works in MSIE.

| Sorry if I offended you.

Don't worry. If you had it would have been very clear. :-)

| I was confused by the requirement in the OpenType spec that a UCS-2
| cmap table must be included "for backward compatibility needs" if
| the font is has "UCS-4 character support for Windows 2000 and
| later".
|
| Apparently, that backward compatibility is meant for other systems,
| but not for Windows 2000.

That's how I would interpret it, given the knowledge that Windows 2000
can indeed do this. I'm don't know much about Windows internals, but
as far as I know it's actually Uniscribe that does this, so the
Windows version in use may not even matter as long as you have the
right Uniscribe version.