[XML-SIG] Re: Issues with Unicode type

Eric van der Vlist vdv@dyomedea.com
27 Sep 2002 00:16:37 +0200

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 23:52, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > OTH, working on implementations of standards (or recs) without aiming
> > for complete conformance is something which I consider as dangerous and
> > I am reaching a point where Python doesn't look as a adequate plateform
> > to implement W3C XML Schema datatypes (and hardly an adequate platform
> > to implement Relax NG) because of the lack of support of non BMP code
> > points.
>=20
> This is very unfair.

And maybe too strong, sorry for that!
=20
> First of all, if Python is inadequate for conformant XML technologies, th=
en=20
> you're out of luck.  No language is immune from Unicode bugs, and I know =
I ran=20
> across some howlers in JDK 1.3.  Java doesn't even have built-in regex=20
> capabilities, so people either have to write their own or borrow Oromatch=
er or=20
> the like.

Right.

> In real life, conformance is nice, but people need to prioritize bug fixe=
s and=20
> development.  You say that you didn't run into these problems in a real l=
ife=20
> scenario but in trying to conform to some odd bits of a test suite you're=
=20
> using.  Can you credibly put this forth as a reason for the Python team t=
o=20
> drop everything and fix all wide unicode bugs?

No, I am not asking people to shift priorities but just trying to figure
out what can be done (given the time I have to spend on the subject) and
what can't be done.

Thanks to the help of this list, I can see includes several layers:

1) Core Relax NG

Should be fine for both ucs2 and ucs4 platforms if I follow the
suggestion from Martin about NCNames (or use the patch he proposes).

2) Length facet

Martin's smart_len alternative works just fine.

3) Pattern facet

I could propose people wanting full conformance to use libxml bindings
and see what I can propose built on the builtin re module for those who
don't want to make the effort of installing libxml.

All this without moving any priority and thanks to the reactivity of
XML-SIG!

Thanks

Eric
--=20