[XML-SIG] Python / XML / XSLT vs. Cocoon for website server side

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Fri Aug 15 08:18:15 EDT 2003

> Craeg,
>
> Good article you put together - very informative. It definetly helps - now
> I'll have to take another look at Zope.
>
> Does Zope make it as easy to keep a strict seperation between the content /
> presentation / business logic that Cocoon promises? Were you able to
> implement the XSLT transformation in Zope with your modifications that
> Cocoon offers? If you were forced to move to Cocoon - how much recoding
> would be needed? 20%? 50%? 80%?
>
> Did you consider any of the following [+my impressions]:
>  Webware? [very nicely done, concerned not large enough user community -
> prefer XSLT over PSP]
>  Quixote? [seemed like to choice, but prefer standard markup like XSLT]
>  CherryPy? [prefer XSLT]
>  Spyce?
>  Cheetah?
>  Mod_python? [will use in production release]
>  Albatross? [?]
>  Twisted? [?]

I want to point out that 4Suite has a server framework built-in that is
heavily XSLT-driven.  If you have a strong preference for XSLT, I would
recommend trying it.  We're just about to announce the 1.0 beta, and it's not
as polished as many of the other entrants above, but it's in very active
development and you should find good support on the mailing list.

It does provide for separation of content and presentation using chained
stylesheets.  There has been a lot of discussion of that on the mailing list.

Introducing Anobind - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/13/py-xml.html
XML Topic Maps by the book - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/
x-think19.html
Charming Jython - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jython.h