[XML-SIG] Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:27:53 -0700

I've stayed out of the _xmlplus thread because I really don't feel strongly
enough about the issue one way or another (nor did I when the initial
discussions took place).

I understand that _xmlplus can be confusing when problems come abut, but on
the other hand, it would seem to me the best approach is to just try to avoid
those problems in the first place.  I also wonder that the proposed change is
too disruptive, given all the extant code that might depend on the ld
arrnagement.  On the flip side of that, I'm usually less of a stickler for
backwar compat than most if it involves a chaneg that does the right thing.

So does ditching _xmlplus even do the right thing?  Is there so little
discssion about this here because so few care?

> Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> > I recently installed Python 2.3a2.  The check for PyXML version in
> > xml.__init__.py requires PyXML 8.2.
> >
> > So this message is just a heads up to those who install
> > Python 2.3a2 that they will need the newest PyXML.
> >
> > I'm just hoping to save someone the time that it takes to track
> > this down.
> >
> > Or, am I the only one who didn't know?
>
> Ugh. More evidence the whole system of having _xmlplus magically plug
> into the 'xml' package should go away, in my opinion! It'd be really
> much easier to understand things like this if PyXML had its own top level
> package and left Python's 'xml' package alone..

I'm not really sure I understand this comment.  PyXML 0.8.1 had serious
problems with the bundled expat, so I think it's a good idea to try to compel
people to upgrade in this manner.

The open office file format  - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/librar
y/x-think15/
4Suite Repository Features - https://www6.software.ibm.com/reg/devworks/dw-x4su