[XML-SIG] Preventing DLL hell is very expensive

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:36:11 +0100

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>>Remember where the phrase "DLL hell" comes from: version skew in C libraries
>>on Windows.  Reflect that popular UNIX systems from Solaris to Linux are just
>>as notorious for ".so dependency hell".
>
> I just wanted to add a note.
>
> of all the OSen I've used, the one most renowned for freeing the user of "DLL
> hell" effects is AIX.  I gather this is in part because SMIT (the package
> manager) is such a draconian beast, and in part because the binary
> compatability management for libraries is extremely thorouh.

Very true: they use core dumps to free the user from DLL hell :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 03 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     29 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       113 days left