[XML-SIG] Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:13:11 +0100

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> I think this is the best proposal I've heard so far in this thread.
> Unfortunately, I sense that bundling PyXML would be a hard sell on python-dev
> :-(

Agreed. This is understandable too. :)

> I do think that Python's pace of change has picked up since the original
> _xmlplus decision, so I could also get behind a proposal that *eliminates* the
> separate subset of PyXML in Python.  Specifically:
>
> * break PyXML in two packages such that there is no overlap at all between the
> two
> * The base package (i.e. sax, and dom minus 4DOM, I think) *becomes* the part
> that is directly bundled with Python, i.e. disappears from the PyXML CVS and
> moves into Python CVS, with all that implies

Would the CVS transition be a necessary consequence of moving it into
the Python core officially? After all, some of it is distributed *with*
the Python core already, it's just that PyXML *also* distributes versions of
it.

> * The python-xml-extras package (i.e. 4DOM, marshal, etc.) does indeed move to
> a separate top-level package name as a separate package
>
> Having said that, the practicality is again in question: not just the
> workload, but the process of agreeing on exactly how to slice and dice PyXML.
> But I do think this is a *much* better solution than ditching the _xmlplus
> method without merging PyXML-in-Python with PyXML-from-XML-SIG, and if a
> change did somehow become prctical, I would mive strongly for either Rich's
> proposal above, or, better yet, mine.

My main goal is to somehow improve the _xmlplus situation, and my goal
was to have a discussion on how to do it. So, I'm glad the discussion is
at least taking place, whatever the outcome will be.

Moving stuff into the core and outside of PyXML certainly sounds good to me.

Regards,

Martijn