[XML-SIG] Finding _xmlplus in Python 2.3a2

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:37:04 +0100

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> Michael McLay <mclay@nist.gov> writes:
>=20
> > It's getting down to the wire on the 2.3 release. Perhaps it would
> > be a good idea to raise the subject on python-dev.
>=20
> I don't think anything can or should be done in this respect. What
> precisely are you proposing (i.e. what specific changes to Python core
> do you suggest?)

I'd say, since the parsers and sax and minidom are already part of the
core distribution from a user's point of view, moving these components
into the core also for maintenance. The XML-SIG can still maintain
these and feed patches, but it wouldn't distribute it as part of
PyXML. If really really necessary the XML-SIG could even distribute
this as a *separate* package from PyXML that overrides the core 'xml'
stuff containing only upgrades of what is in the core, not new
functionality, but only if it's extremely clear that this is going to hap=
pen
to those who install it and developers. And I suspect that the mentioned
systems are mature enough not to need this anyway; bugfixes can just go
in Python bugfix releases.

Regards,

Martijn