[XML-SIG] [OT] Python Coding Standards

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:02:22 -0500

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 08:43 am, John J Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > This came across Mitch Kapor's dev list.  Looked pretty well done,
> > thought I would share it.
>
> LOL.  Spam about the best way to write spamming software (albeit of the
> dead-tree variety, looking at http://www.easymailings.com/).  Actually, I
> can't decide whether this is spam, not-spam or both-at-once...

Please play nice and keep the tone civil. The comment about his email address
was unnecessary. If you didn't think the content he was sharing was
appropriate for the list then politely suggesting an appropriate mailing list
is all that needs to said.

The forwarded message is about improving software written in Python. This
mailing list is for discussion of software written in Python. It may be off
topic but it isn't spam. Spam would include something about helping a General
get money out of a country in Africa or a fast method to get rich.

The subject of the message was a Python style guide used at eGroups. There is
nothing about spam tools in the document, and eGroups is not a spam tool.
eGroups is a mailing list archival service. The Python community has used it
on a number of projects and it is yet another example of a useful large scale
application that was written in Python.

> Mark: Why not post to comp.lang.python instead?  I wouldn't be surprised
> if it generated a vigorous discussion, though I doubt many Pythonistas
> will agree with your prescriptions.

What do you mean by his "prescriptions"? The style guide provided some
sensible suggestions about how to write code that is maintainable. Perhaps
the eGroups style guide should be compared to Guido's Style Guide for Python
Code [1] to see if there are some new ideas that should be added to the PEP.

[1] http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html