[XML-SIG] Tim Bray on XML

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:34:57 -0700

> On Tuesday 18 March 2003 2:01 pm, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>
> > I hardly think there's any deep insight there for developers.
>
> The insight I got was that when you are planning an application that will have
> to parse _large_ xml files, it's not efficient to have to load the whole tree
> into memory.  This makes good sense and is a common-sense counter to
> XML-hype.
>
> > Yes, Tim
> > sometimes goes beyond that, but he's always been very careful to point out
> > that when it's time to do full, general XML parsing, he uses a proper
> > parser, just like anyone else.
>
> That's not what he says in this article.

Then I must say he's gone off the deep end.  I haven't had time to follow
XMLDEV much lately, but I'm pretty confident Simon St. Laurent or Elliotte
Harolde would have flamed him to a crisp for claiming such a thing to be
legitimate.  I may find a moment to go over there and join in the fun.

> > Yes, SAX is a bit of a pain for anyone who thinks state diagrams are
> > unfunny cartoons.  Luckily there are stream-like alternatives: XMLReader in
> > libxslt and .NET, pulldom in Python (though the latter has some warts).
>
> Someone said M$ got this right in .NET.  Would you care to elaborate on the
> differences between these approaches and SAX?

Perhaps I'll have a moment to do so in the near future.  For now all I can
offer, wich is not much, is my brief article on PullDOM

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-tipulldom.html

Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think16.html
EXSLT by example - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-exslt.html
The worry about program wizards - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7238