[XML-SIG] Installation trouble on OS X

Ryan Wilcox ryanwilcox@mac.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:26:06 -0400

On 5/13/03, at 9:21 PM, Gary Robinson said:

>I'm trying to install PyXML-0.8.2 on OS X. I think I've located a bug in the
>I'm running
>    python setup.py install
>I get the error:
>% python setup.py install
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setup.py", line 58, in ?
>    if sys.platform[:6] == "darwin" and \
>NameError: name 'distutils' is not defined

Yup, I get this error too.

I believe you're correct in how to fix it.

BTW: I did this work for Darwin Ports maybe a month back. Darwin Ports makes it
pretty much braindead to install PyXML ('cause you also should install xpat,
etc). (It's a package manager, like Fink)

This has also been discussed in the archives a few times...

Good luck,

Who recommends downloading Darwin Ports, even if to just get my patch file for
setup.py ;)

Wilcox Design: Understanding Data              http://www.wilcoxd.com