[XML-SIG] Relationship between xml and pyxml

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 00:38:53 EST 2003

I'm new to Python, and was examining the options I have for XML work in the
language. I've had a quick look at the standard 'xml' package which comes
with the language and established that it's the basic, minimum-fit stuff -
non validating parser with Level 1 (plus a bit) DOM and SAX2. I then moved on
to looking at PyXML, which does a lot more - validating parser, Level 2 DOM,
etc.

I was puzzled by the way the pyxml package is installed by my SUSE LINUX
system. It seems that the __init__.py package loader for the the xml package
checks to see if pyxml can be loaded, and if so, loads it. Since pyxml
contains modules called 'dom', 'sax' and so on, as far as I can see, 'pyxml'
will override the standard 'xml' package.

Have I got that right? Does PyXML claim to be a source compatible superset of
the standard xml package, which is transparently used if it's available?

--
> eatapple
core dump