[XML-SIG] value error when parsing XML

Ajay Brar abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 3 12:53:12 CEST 2004

Andrew Clover wrote:

> Ajay Brar <abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> i get a value error when parsing an xml file.
>

> With what are you parsing the XML file?

i am using a SAX parser. i use the make_parser in xml.sax to make the
parser. i have my own content handler
parser = make_parser()
parser.setFeature(feature_namespaces, 0)
umXML = umXMLHandler.UM_XML_Handler()

>> can someone please tell me how i can workaround this problem.
>

> Do you really need the .dtd? If you don't need default attribute
> values or entities from the DTD external subset, you are best off
> using a simple non-validating, non-external-entity-reading parser.

while i don't need the DTD immediately, in the long term i would like to
validate the XML against the DTD.

> Otherwise, depending on what you are using to parse the XML file, you
> may have to give it an absolute URI to tell it where the resource is
> supposed to be located, so that it can work out where, exactly,
> relative URLs are relative to - relative URIs should be relative to
> the XML file that used them, *not* your OS's current working directory.

the script actually works if the dtd is in the same directory as the
script. if i put it with the xml, that when i get the error.

> If the relative URI given in the <!DOCTYPE> is actually wrong (ie. it
> points to a non-existant path), you'd have to use an entity resolver
> to redirect it elsewhere. (With SAX you'd use resolveEntity; with
> DOM3LS you'd use an LSResourceResolver.)

would this be the correct way to specify the uri, is it is in the same
directory as the xml file
<!DOCTYPE um SYSTEM 'um.dtd'>

i think its something to do with the way i call the parser
parser.parse("../um_xml/um_ajay.xml")
and it seems to me that for some reason, when parsing, it resolves the
name to ../um_xml/<name>, which in this case is um.dtd
Is that why?
i am a newbie to python, XML and XML in Python, so its hard to figure
out what i am doing wrong.

thanks

cheers
--