[XML-SIG] favicon in XBEL

Thomas B. Passin tpassin at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 18:52:08 CEST 2004

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 15:57, Thomas B. Passin wrote:

>>Well, maybe that doesn't happen so often anymore (better browsers?), but
>>I had to do some hacking on the current xbel code to get it to use
>>unicode and stop halting with encoding errors on titles.  I haven't had
>>time to post my changes yet, but maybe in a couple of weeks ...
>

> Well, not halting can be bad if you don't know what the encodings
> actually are.  Maybe the utilities would have to take some sort of
> default encoding param from the user?  But I really hate to make
> crutches for such insidious problems.

One of the the problems was that I would get a non-ascii error for xbel
python code when titles contained certain iso-8859-1 characters.  Not
surprising, of course, but it had to be dealt with.  For maybe the last
year, since I hacked my xbel code to include encodings, I have had
reliable results using iso-8859-1 for IE and utf-8 for my Mozilla-based
browsers.

Of course, that would be specific to my personal browser settings.  I
just wanted to bring out that one has to pay attention to these issues
when contemplating merging bookmarks from various sources.  Since it was
very annoying for me until I got it handled, we want to make sure that
any update to the xbel code gets it right.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)