[XML-SIG] Re: help - attributes namespace - is this a bug in PyXML

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Aug 20 09:00:11 CEST 2004

Andrew Clover wrote:

> Well, a PDA port shouldn't be a problem - pxdom is pure-Python (compatible back to 1.5.2). Of
> course for efficiency as you say it's pretty poor.

I'd say "pretty poor" is an understatement:

Parsing the ot.xml file from jon bosak's collection (3.5 MB):

minidom: 1.4 seconds, 53 megabytes
elementtree: 1.6 seconds, 14 megabyte
    same, w. sgmlop: 0.76 seconds
    same, w. Python parser: 2.9 seconds
    same, w. C element type: 0.38 seconds
pxdom: 800 seconds, 79 megabyte

That's 500 times slower than other portable implementations, and
2100 times slower than the fastest XML object implementation I
have here.  Put another way, pxdom parses 4350 bytes per second
on a 3 GHz PC.

(the factor drops somewhat with smaller files, but it's still in the "a
few kilobytes per second" range)

</F>