[XML-SIG] Does anyone do DOM navigation anymore?

Chris Irish chris.irish at libertydistribution.com
Fri Jul 9 18:44:23 CEST 2004

Derek Fountain wrote:

>So it occurs to me to ask on the SIG list: do people still use the original
>DOM style navigation? When is it preferable to XPATH? Why, in short, is the
>whole "document hopping" idea not deprecated?!
This may be a little late, but I try to stay away from both SAX & DOM
whenever possible.  I too have found XPATH to be the easiest/fastest
parser I've come across.  When I write some GUI apps that need to do a
lot of XML parsing I find SAX to be a pain in the butt and DOM will slow
down my programs quite alot.  Especially if I need to parse one XML file
to get info to find or lookup some other XML file.  Maybe it's just me
but when someone uses a program I've written I don't want them to have
to sit there wondering if the app froze or something else.  If anyone
hasen't given XPATH a look/try I recommend it highly.  Chris