[XML-SIG] Re: Parsing a unicode string

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 5 12:01:16 CEST 2004

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> I'd also expect parsers to accept unicode string objects with no encoding specification
> whatsoever. Decoding a Unicode encoding and parsing XML are two distinct steps

not really; XML is defined in terms of encoded bytestreams.

if an entity is stored in a Python Unicode string, it's not really an XML
entity.  it just looks like one.

(it doesn't make much sense from a design perspective either.  if you use
standard XML tools, you get encoded streams.  if you use Python code
to generate it, you might as well generate a DOM or DOM-like structure
in the first place...).

</F>