[XML-SIG] Removing insignificant whitespace

Thomas B. Passin tpassin at comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 00:37:55 CEST 2004

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 04:33 pm, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>  > What's wrong with normalize()?
>
> What does normalize do about whitespace in content?  If anything, that's a
> bug.  normalize() only deals with how adjacent nodes containing character
> data are combined.

True.  I probably misunderstood the question.  Once you run normalize(),
you don't have whitespace-only nodes in content anymore (unless the
content is only whitespace, that is) - those nodes have been absorbed
into other content nodes.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)