[XML-SIG] Sequential SAX2 Filters?

Lists lists at dreamcatalyst.com
Thu Apr 14 11:20:11 CEST 2005

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 22:37 -0500, J. Lujan wrote:
>

>>OK I am relatively new to python and I know this is kind of a general
>>python question but I haven't found an answer any where else. I know you
>>can chain filters by calling nextfilter.startElement(..) and so on. But
>>what if you want sequential filters to modify information that might
>>have been added to the document by a previous filter? I assume you need
>>to parse for each filter but it doesn't matter. What I cannot figure out
>>is how to get the results of the parse into a string that I can pass on
>>to a second parse with a different filter. I hope I am being clear
>>enough here. I want to parse a file and have the result put into a
>>string that I can parse a second time using a different filter. Any
>>suggestions?
>>

>If I understand you, you may want to use some variation on
>xml.sax.XMLGenerator you might find the following useful:
>
>http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/12/py-xml.html

Well, I started off with your example "Tip: SAX filters for flexible
processing" on IBM's developerworks and have reviewed many of your other
articles. I under stand how most of it works including XMLGenerator. The
problem I have is more general, a lack of Python knowledge. When I try
using XMLGenerator, the result goes to standard output, my questions is
how to get it to go into a string(variable) within the program that can
be passed on to a second parser instance. I assume I pass a reference to
a global variable to the filter. I am  missing how to get XMLGenerator
to write to that variable. Am I missing something with XMLGenerator? Is
there a way to get the output from the XMLGenerator instance itself?
Hopefully I am being more clear this time.

Thank You,
J. Lujan