[XML-SIG] Re: Re: Generating XML from scratch

Walter Underwood wunder at verity.com
Sat Feb 12 20:07:43 CET 2005

Might want to use something designed for generating XML. The DOM is really
designed for representing it, which isn't quite the same thing.

GenX:  <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/02/20/GenxStatus>
Python wrapper:  <http://software.translucentcode.org/pygenx/>

wunder

--On February 12, 2005 6:22:22 PM +0100 Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

> Dave Kuhlman wrote:
>
>> Maybe the minidom API is somewhat of a mess, but then so are
>> XML and the XML documents that minidom must be able to represent.
>
> that's a popular myth.
>
> other popular myths are that XML parsers have to be slow, because they
> process Unicode; that XML DOM representations have to use tons of
> memory, because they have to; and that tools that don't fully support all
> kinds of XML processing are unusable for any kind of XML processing.
>
>> I'd like to see some sort of comparison of minidom and ElementTree.
>> Are there some real reasons why I should choose ElementTree over
>> minidom for future work?
>
> that's a "python vs. perl" or "static typing vs. dynamic typing" question.  I suggest
> trying it, to see if it fits your brain, and the kind of XML programming you do.
>
>> Is there a consensus that we should be using ElementTree instead
>> of minidom?
>
> if you ask toolmakers, they'll tell you that their own tool is the best one.  if you
> ask users, you may get more consistent answers ;-)
>
> </F>

Walter Underwood
Principal Architect, Verity