[XML-SIG] Re: XML for scientific data storage and search

Walter Underwood wunder at verity.com
Fri Jan 14 19:02:35 CET 2005

Instead of inventing something from scratch, I'd recommend an
existing, standard, flexible, free format, like NetCDF. It even
has Python bindings.

  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/

If you must invent it yourself, use Python marshal format over
HTTP. Works fine.

XML is wonderful stuff, but it is really unsuitable for large
amounts of data or fast transfer.

SAX should not require reading in the whole document, though.
It is almost always the right choice if you are extracting the
data from a document instead of manipulating it.

wunder

--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect