[XML-SIG] XBEL / Konqueror

Uche Ogbuji Uche.Ogbuji at fourthought.com
Fri Jan 28 07:38:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 11:05 +0100, David Vevar wrote:
> Since you mention Konqueror on your page
> (http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/) I was wondering what was
> your official position about Konqueror's bookmark format. It's supposed
> to be XBEL but from what I see there's an icon argument in a bookmark
> element. Since I can't find it in a dtd I thought that such data should
> be put into metadata (in info). In your pdf document describing XBEL
> there's no mention of icons (and how to handle such data) either. Is
> there an offocial position regarding that? I'd be most grateful for your
> insight.

When it's come up before, I've argued that icons shouldn't be a matter
for the main XBEL DTD, but that implementations should be allowed to add
extension data for icons.

XBEL 1.1 does have

<!ATTLIST bookmark
            %node.att;
            %url.att;
            icon     NMTOKEN    #IMPLIED

But NMTOKEN doesn't really make sense for an icon (ENTITY, anyone?
<duck/>).

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Introducing the Amara XML Toolkit - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/amara.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286