[XML-SIG] Re: Minidom empty script element bug

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 16 00:14:03 CET 2005

Derek Basch wrote:
> XHTML 1.0 specs, Appendix C
> ~~~~@~~~~
> C.3 Element Minimization and Empty Element Content
>
> Given an empty instance of an element whose content model is not EMPTY (for
> example, an empty title or paragraph) do not use the minimized form (e.g.
> ~~~~@~~~~

I'd like to point out that this is *not* a minidom bug. minidom cannot
possibly know that the document type is XHTML, and that strange, non-XML
rules apply to XHTML (i.e. rules which are not present in XML itself).

I'd also like to point out that XHTML Appendix C is informative (i.e.
non-normative), meaning that failure to comply to it does not imply
non-compliance with XHTML. An XML file which uses the minimized form
for the script element is still proper, well-formed, valid XHTML.

> How do I get minidom to NOT render an empty script element? Should I submit a
> bug report?

That said, I think there is a simple solution: add an empty Text node
to the script element:

script_node_0.appendChild(doc.createText(u""))

[Disclaimer: this is untested; from reading the source, I think it
should work]

Regards,
Martin