[XML-SIG] Posting XML to a database

Uche Ogbuji Uche.Ogbuji at fourthought.com
Tue Mar 22 21:34:36 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 10:23 -0600, Greg Lindstrom wrote:
> I'd like to thank everyone here and on the 4Suite list for all the help
> provided the past few days.  I'm up on my feet with xml and learning
> more every hour.  I have been playing with xml for a few days now and am
> to the point where I can dissect and process an xml document.  Though I
> have a lot yet to learn, my next concern is storing xml in a database.
> I have read snippets that there is information  to post to MySQL, I find
> no index listing for xml in my MySQL reference manual.  Our database of
> choice is postgress, but a google of "xml" and "postess" returns about
> 390,000 hits, which would take me all day to wade through :-).
>
> Is it possible to post an xml document to a database and, if so, does it
> allow queries similar to xpath?  Is documentation available and where
> can I get my hands on it?  I'm open to using MySQL or Postgress.  Though
> I have access to an Oracle database, we do not administer it and I am
> certain that the owners will not let me use it for this purpose.
>
> I'm back to working on dissecting rather complex xml documents (health
> care claim data in EDI X12 format).  Any information you could provide
> to my above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Using the 4Suite repository you can store XML documents to a flexible
back-end (actual back end can be Postgres, MySQL, or, very soon,
Berkeley DB XML).  You can then use XSLT very naturally to extract data
from the stored documents.  It also has a built-in Web server, but I've
personally been "deprecating" it in favor of a more dedicated protocol
server such as CherryPy.

Use CSS to display XML, part 2 - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss2-i.html
Introducing the Amara XML Toolkit - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/amara.html
Gems from the Mines: 2002 to 2003 - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/03/02/pyxml.html