[XML-SIG] Installing PyXml Help.

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 23 00:44:35 CEST 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 18:14, Amitpython5 at aol.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm relatively new to Python, and ran into an error while installing
> PyXml. I have Python 2.1 installed on my HP-UX host, and everything has
> been running fine. I'm trying to install Soap package, which needs to have
> PyXml installed. When I try to install PyXml, I get the following  message:

[...]

> extensions/pyexpat.c:5:20:  Python.h: No such file or directory
> extensions/pyexpat.c:8:21: compile.h: No  such file or directory
> extensions/pyexpat.c:9:25: frameobject.h: No such file  or directory
>
> How do I get Python.h and the other missing files?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This looks very similar to the classic case of "overpackaging" seen in many
Linux distributions, where the Python binaries and libraries are installed
but not the header files. I can't really remember what the packaging policy
is for the various proprietary UNIX variants, but I imagine that the headers
didn't get installed with the Python package and that you either have to find
the "development" Python package with all the missing bits or, and this is
what I always tended to do, install Python in some non-official location
using the source distribution (/usr/local might be alright - that's the
default - but anywhere will do).

Since you've clearly got development tools installed, I'd actually recommend
that you install Python from source, especially since there aren't so many
compelling reasons to stick with Python 2.1.

Paul