[XML-SIG] Which python DOM to use - need EntityReference

Fox, David David.Fox at nuance.com
Mon Jan 1 21:09:50 CET 2007

I've written a Python module which uses xml.dom from PyXML 0.8.4 to generate
XML documents according to a particular schema (VoiceXML SRGS).

Now I've seen a comment on SourceForge that pyxml.sourceforge.net that PyXML
is no longer maintained
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1562266&group_id=6
473&atid=106473).

1.  Is this true?

2.  Is there a recommended DOM replacement?

I've looked at xml.minidom from the standard python library, but it doesn't
support EntityReference, which means that I can't escape apostrophes as
' (which is allowed but not required by XML, but is required the
VoiceXML SRGS standard).  If I include an apostrophe in a text node, it
doesn't get escaped, whereas if I include ' it gets turned into
"&pos;"

I've skimmed the 4Suite docs, but it isn't obvious to me whether its
Domlette implementation would solve this problem.

3.  Is there any prospect of supporting EntityReference in the standard
python library?  (I'd be happy to help, but I'm afraid I don't really have
much XML expertise outside of the particulars of VoiceXML SRGS and whatever
else I've learned from the http://www.w3schools.com/ site).

4.  Alternatively, is there some other workaround for dealing with '?

Thanks in advance,
David Fox