[XML-SIG] Question on PyXML

Juan Carlos Mendez jcmendez at gmail.com
Wed May 9 06:48:39 CEST 2007

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to run InkScape in Mac Os X (a vector graphics
application).  The prepackaged application runs fine, in general.
However, many of its modules use a python script named inkex.py,
which fails with the message that it requires PyXML.

I tried searching for the solution, but it seems to me the XML
support in Python has changed a bit and perhaps you can help me
understand what the current best solution is.

It seems PyXML is deprecated or no longer maintained according to its
SourceForge page.
I believe Python 2.5 (which is what I'm running on the Mac) has some
of the XML support already built in.

The inkex.py script tries to import the following:
try:
     import xml.dom.ext
     import xml.dom.minidom
     import xml.dom.ext.reader.Sax2
     import xml.xpath
except:
     sys.exit('The inkex.py module requires PyXML. Please download
the latest version from <http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/>.')

Of these, minidom seems to be present, but the others aren't:

Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
 >>> import xml.dom.ext
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named ext
 >>> import xml.dom.minidom
 >>> import xml.dom.ext.reader.Sax2
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named ext.reader.Sax2
 >>> import xml.xpath
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named xpath

Any ideas or pointers will be very much appreciated

Juan C.