[XML-SIG] Hoping someone can help with this small problem

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Apr 12 18:33:08 CEST 2008

James Duffy wrote:
> I'm currently working on a project and have hit a small jam. I need to be
> able to produce, send, receive, and parse a stream of XML files. I've got
> the production and parser setup, however I need a python script that will
> open a connection to another machine and maintain that connection for the
> duration of the session, during which XML files are sent from one computer
> to another via Ethernet.

Via Ethernet? As plain Ethernet frames?

I bet you have a bit more of a protocol stack available on top of that, such
as IP/TCP/HTTP or something.

> For our basic needed setup we are going to use a
> crossover cable to connect two machines. I'm hoping someone has written or
> seen something that can help me accomplish this. Time is short so I would
> appreciate any quick and helpful responses.

Any help here requires a bit more detail from your side, such as the type of
machines (PCs? embedded devices?), the operating system, the available
software, the supported network protocols, the kind of "XML files" you want to
send, how they are generated (based on what kind of data), ...

Maybe XML-RPC is of interest here?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XML-RPC-HOWTO/xmlrpc-howto-python.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xmlrpclib.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-SimpleXMLRPCServer.html