[XML-SIG] [Baypiggies] News flash: Python possibly guilty in excessive DTD traffic

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Feb 10 18:20:44 CET 2008

[+xml-sig]

On Feb 8, 2008 8:03 PM, Keith Dart ♂ <keith at dartworks.biz> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic
>
> This is interesting. I've noticed that when you use Python's XML
> package in validating mode it does try to fetch the DTD. Be careful
> when you use that.

I think this is worth filing a bug, but I'd like to understand better
where the call is made. I can't find any places in the standard xml
package that does this -- but I'm not all that familiar with the code.
Do you know if it's in the base xml package, or in etree, or in the
separately distributed "XMLplus"? Any details you have would be
appreciated (like a traceback from the point where the call is made).