[XML-SIG] PyXML for py 2.5

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 25 07:18:20 CET 2008

> That's what we did, and that package (the one the SIG recommended) has
> been abandoned in favor of a newer one.

That's not exactly true. It hasn't been abandoned in favor of lxml, or
some other package. It has been abandoned in favor of the standard
library (at least, that's why *I* abandoned it; not sure why nobody
was picking it up).

> It would be nice if we could
> reduce the chance of that happening again by having the package
> incorporated into the standard library.

PyXML *is* integrated into the standard library. Just use it there.

> Well, if you have customers (as we do) who have entered into data
> exchange arrangements with other organizations and companies with
> agreements to make sure that the documents exchanged meet sets of
> validation rules, then it seems that the choice you have is to use an
> existing XML validation package or to write your own XML validation
> software.  We'd rather not re-invent the wheel, but we'd also like to
> avoid repeatedly replacing third-party packages as they are abandoned.

One option, of course, is to take over maintenance of a package that
was abandoned. This is free software.

Regards,
Martin