[XML-SIG] "encoding" argument to xml.dom.minidom.toxml()?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jun 11 18:14:36 CEST 2008

Stefan, I think we are talking past each other.  I know it's there to
allow encodings other than UTF-8, and I'm familiar with the codecs
module, and I like the parameter, in general.  The problem is that if
you ignore the documentation, which seems to know that it's broken,
and specify an encoding other than UTF-8, the generated XML sometimes
doesn't conform to that encoding.  Instead, an exception is raised
from deep inside Python, which contains no indication of what piece of
input data caused it.  And there's no need for that to happen.  XML
can fully support any output encoding for any Unicode input stream,
and it should do that.

Bill